gnome-system-tools...

Nathan Sprangers farruinn at cwazy.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 17:05:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:58:59 +0100, Michael Anckaert
<michael.anckaert at scarlet.be> wrote:
> > I'm wondering why gnome-system-tools is installed by default on
> > warty,
> > but it only features three configuration tools (users, network,
> > time).
> The new Hoary release has 3 out of 5 tools.
> Users and groups; Network; Date and time
> So only the bootloader and Runlevel configurators are missing.
> Personally, I'd like to see them included as they are really good. But
> think that the bootloader and runlevel config files are very distro
> specific so it's probably harder to set up for Ubuntu as Ubuntu isn't
> 'supported' distro by GST.

I use Ubuntu on macintosh hardware so I'm not sure what all the
bootloader configuration tool does, but the only reason why I could see
it being included in the default install would be to give users an easy
way to enable dual booting with Windows.

It would make absolutely no sense however to included the runlevel
confiruation tool because Ubuntu (and any Debian based distro for that
matter) doesn't use runlevels in the same way as say RedHat.  Some sort
of update-rc.d tool or init script editor might be useful, but it's not
something the typical (dare I use that word! :-) user would need.  (of
course if that is basically what ubuntu/debian's version of the gnome
tool does then great!)

Later,
--
Nathan Sprangers  <farruinn at cwazy.co.uk>