Newbie Install Question

Tab Gilbert tabbox at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:12:43 UTC 2005

Sorry for the mistake.  First time using gmail in a discussion.  What
I need is a geek in the house for about two hours but in Outer
Bubbaistan they do not make house calls.    Did the RTFM but on a
first install does not help much.  Every .iso I download is corrupt
(suggested firefox is handling it as text) and just trying to figure
out why.  Have not found an example on Ubuntu on how to do a basic
install from "off the reservation" but did not find it.  Instead of 17
games it would have been nice for a p2p and checksum (which Hoary is
suppose to have) to have been included (a click on picture edition)
leaving only 15 games.  Even I can figure out--

checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

is just leading me down a path I do not have enough experience with.

I guess I will have to find a windows machine and look for another
distribution with it included. Knoppix is way over my head.  More
likely put windows (grub ate it) back on cause other folks using the
machine want to do "normal" things with it.  If Ubuntu is the best
distribution for "converts"  Sir Bill appears to be safe.  It sucks
cause I like the philosophy of the Ubuntu folks.

Thanks --

Tab
a "Little Mac" person at Heart and Hater of Windows