hostap-source

Tomas Krag tt at krag.org
Fri Mar 18 10:30:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:50:29 +0100, Tomas Krag wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running hoary with 2.6.10-5-686 kernel, and need the hostap drivers,
> so I installed hostap-utils and hostapd, and also hostap-source
>
> However I am new to debian-based distro's and am having some problems with
> building the hostap modules from the source package.
>
> I kind of patched together a skimpy overview of how make-kpkg works in my
> mind, but have so far failed to get anything useful out of it.
>
> I installed all the neccesarry packages including
> linux-headers-2.6.10-5-686
> linux-source-2.6.10
> build-essentials
>
> So I untarred the hostap-source tarball in /usr/src, and thought I could
> go into /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.10/
> and run
> make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot modules-image
>
> however that starts asking me all kinds of questions about my kernel
> configuration. But I am not interested in recompiling the kernel, just
> that particular module.
>
> So my next attempt was to try this from the
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.10-5
> directory, but that ends with an error-message:
>
> mv: cannot stat `include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.10-5'
> make: *** [stamp-kernel-configure] Error 2
>

> Any clues would be much appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> /tomas

Just to say that I kind of solved this
It involved copying /boot/config-2.6.10-5-686 to /usr/src/linux/.config
running
# make oldconfig
# make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot --revision=custom.1.0 modules_image

installing the resulting .deb (in /usr/src/)
and then manually copying the modules from
/lib/modules/2.6.10/..... to
/lib/modules/2.6.10-5-686/.....

I'm sure there's an easier way, but it seems my hostap driver is loading
correctly now.

/tomas