Newbie Install Question

Tab Gilbert tabbox at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 04:27:10 UTC 2005

>From an earlier suggestion:
---
In general, you would probably do something like this:

cd /tmp
tar zxvf /home/tab/parano-0.2.0.tar.gz
cd parano   [or parano-0.2.0, or whatever it is called]
ls
[look for a file that has install in the name, as well as any text
instructions that might be in README or INSTALL files.  If you find
parano_install.sh, continue with:]
sudo sh parano_install.sh
[then answer the questions appropriately and you are done, probably]
---------
I got:

bookmarks3.7  hig.jpg          test folder
Desktop       parano-0.2.0.tar.gz
tab at ubuntutab:~ $ tar zxvf/home/tab/parano-0.2.0.tar.gz
tar: Old option `f' requires an argument.
Try `tar --help' for more information.
tab at ubuntutab:~ $ tar zxv/home/tab/parano-0.2.0.tar.gz
tar: Old option `b' requires an argument.
Try `tar --help' for more information.
tab at ubuntutab:~ $

---
I looked at the help file for tar but did not understand much.  The
cd/tmp gave me bash: cd/tmp: No such file or directory so i am
guessing I am still not in the correct directory.  Or the application
should be in temp since that is where tar looks.  I think I am getting
close to an understanding but still lots of fuzz.