NFS and dynmaic ip addresses

John Affleck lists+ubuntu-users at lists.oddment.net
Thu Mar 17 21:38:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:16:55PM +0000, piltdown wrote:
> Trying to get network working. I have gone through the NFS Server Howto on
> the Ubuntu Wiki. All the examples in the Wiki (setting up the /etc/hosts
> file) refer to specific IP addresses for the clients.
>
> How do you configure /etc/hosts when PCs get their IP addresses
> dynamically via DHCP?

If all you need to do is add the clients to your /etc/exports file,
you can use wildcards or subnets to add all of the possible addresses
the clients may get. For example, if your ip address space is
allocated as 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.128, you can do:
/fs/to/share          192.168.1.0/25(rw,async)

You do not need a hostname to associate with the ip address.

If your clients get hostnames assigned, you can also do:
/fs/to/share		*.domain.org(rw,async)