[Warty] Newtork set up - newbie

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:18:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:43:42 +1300, Lindsay <judenlinz at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Had already installed samba and just did smbfs? what happens next? I as
> got nothing from Help in System Configuration/networking that could
> assist me.
>
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 11:38 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
> > http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#installsamba is your friend
> >
> > apt-get install samba
> > apt-get install smbfs
> >
> > --
> > - ulrich
> > rule 3: It is OK to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder.
> >
> > On Do, 2005-03-17 at 23:05 +1300, Lindsay wrote:
> > > I didn't get an error message. I just dont know how to preceed or where?

If you want to transfer files you will need to share a folder. Hoary
has the shared folders program thingy (in the menu). I havent used it
myself but Im sure you can just select the folder to share and select
wether to share it with smb. if you select to make it browseable then
I asume the windowes machine should be able to see it.

as for browsing the shares from the windows machine in ubuntu - I
think you can just use smb:///<computername>/<shared folder>
from within nautilus

alternatively you can run:

sudo mount -t smbfs //<computername>/<folder> /mnt/<folder to mount on>

this will then show up as a mounted location like a CD

to make it permanent, add the entry to /etc/fstab

Hope this points you in the right direction (and that its not completely wrong)

Tom