20050315 DVD Installtion Report

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 02:50:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:19:02 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 09:28:10PM -0500, Matt Galvin wrote:
>
> > * The installer tests the network repositories even though it never uses
> > them for the installtion. I know they will get used later on when the
> > system is up and for getting the latest updates, but (maybe I am off a
> > little) isn't the point of the DVD install to not "need" the network at
> > installtion time at all (normally) since all the supported packages are on
> > the DVD. The user will get the updates when the system comes up via
> > Synaptic and/or the update manager. Maybe it should test for them here,
> > just a suggestion.
>
> Currently it does nearly everything the same way that the CD does, for the
> sake of simplicity.  If we were to delay the network archive configuration
> until later, that would be new code to write, test and debug.
>
> We're considering making this work more elegantly for the next release.
>
> > * The DVD gets ejected upon reboot even though it is still needed to
> > complete the installation. I know this is just the way it works for
> > now but "other" OS's that still need the disc do not eject it. The
> > "other" OS's just don't boot off the CD it boots into the base system
> > and completes the installtion so long as a key is not pressed. Maybe
> > the bootloader on the CD can somehow detect this on a soft reboot --
> > maybe based on something left in /tmp/half_done_with_install. Just a
> > suggestion based on half a thought ;). It's not a big deal, just an
> > inconvienience to the user.
>
> The disc should not be needed to complete the installation; if you were
> prompted for it, that's an indication of a bug.  Can you elaborate?

I don't know how useful this is but when the setup process begins
after rebooting the CD based install usually RECOMMENDS just gcc but
the DVD based install recommends: gcc imagemagick libgnome2-perl
libpaper-utils mozilla-psm netpbm python-egenix-mdatetime shareutils
tetex-extra. Then I get prompted to insert the DVD to continue the
install.

Colin pointed out the other day that this may be b/c the DVD based
install tries to install gs stuff.
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-March/026411.html

Matt