lost X after todays update

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Mar 17 02:03:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:02:49PM -0500, mark wrote:
> I've gotten into the habit of running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
> after any of the upgrades that have ANYTHING to do with the kernel,
> xorg, nvidia, etc.  (Okay, I'll still try & boot normally, but...today
> was a good example - lots of xorg stuff upgraded, tried a normal reboot
> & got the "nv" driver at 1024x768.) It ain't the most user-friendly
> thing around, but, hey, it's still a preview release...

Yeah, xorg 6.8.2-4 is broken in this regard.  -5 will fix it, but I'm
just waiting for array 7 to get released before I upload that.  In
the meantime, running:
RECONFIGURE=true sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
will get rid of that braindamage.  Yeah, this sucks.

> BTW - Daniel, anybody - I've been booting the recovery kernel and
> re-running "nvidia-glx-config enable" before the "dpkg" routine
> mentioned above - is this necessary, or am I overdoing things?

Not really; if you're using the nvidia driver then it will just stomp
over your config anyway.  If you want to use the nvidia driver, you're
best to run sudo dpkg-..., then run sudo nvidia-glx-config-enable.

Cheers,
Daniel