RAM (and Speed)

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Mar 16 20:35:36 UTC 2005

> Dear Vince,
>
> you are fast in reply - you guy must sit in front of the computer half your life! right?

Thank god not ! ;o) I just happened to check my mail when you posted...

> i guess about one minute . after name and password, Gnome starts within 20 to 25 seconds (?).

That sounds fine to me, I get similar times here. About 1 min 30s from
start to finish, nothing excessive IMO. Most of the time is taken by
"Hotplug", and my SCSI scanner that always some time to initialize/scan
for devices.
Linux is indeed longer to start than XP, but it's not really a problem.

> also when opening Nautilus it can take more time than desired. there is no
> such a thing like fast response on clicking my home folder. i guess it can
> take up to 5 seconds.

Ah, this is more of a problem...

> $ hdparm -t dev/hda tells me about a reading speed of 22.0 MB/sec.

About the same here as well, sounds fine.

> what could be optimal parameters?

Looks fine to me, given the age of the drive, it's probably doing its
best already.

> i once have seen a site where some guy was talking about tweaking the HD.
> but isn't it highly risky?

Hmmm, the transfer rate is seems already very good, not worth trying to
mess with it...

So, we are progressing, drive is fast enough, total start time is fine
(under 2 minutes is perfectly normal IMHO), but Nautilus is slow.

Can't help much with this, hopefully someone will have some fresh
ideas...

--
Vince