RAM (and Speed)

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Mar 16 18:22:59 UTC 2005

> Hello Ubuntu Users
>
> some days ago i read about  a computer which maybe does not fully
> recognise the amount of RAM.
> how (where) to check if Ubuntu gets (uses) all available RAM on the
> machine?
>
> I ask this, because my machine, eventhough P3 / 1.2 GHz / 512 RAM, is
> realy slow in loading Ubuntu (much slower than Windows XP on the same
> machine).
> How does it come?
>
> thanks for any hint on this two issues.

You can run the 'top' command from the command line, it gives the amount
of physical mememory as well as many other things.
However, I don't think that the amount of memory is the problem for the
system being slow to load. You have 512MB, but even if only half of that
was recognised, it should still plenty enough.

I reckon the problem must be somewhere else.
What is slow exactly, booting the kernel, or starting Gnome ?
If gnome is slow to start, it could be your hard drive that's a bit
old/slow, or using less than optimal parameters.
I tried installing Ubuntu on an ancient Pentium 200MMX, with 256MB of
RAM, and it was slow only because of the hard drive. Memory and CPU
didn't feel to be a problem.

HTH

--
Vince