help with nvidia and agpgart on hoary

Adam Membrey membreya at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 16 13:23:49 UTC 2005

I've been speaking with a developer from ubuntu and he assures me that
agpgart is not loaded inline with the module.

Yet my dmesg says:

agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
agpgart: Setting up Nforce3 AGP.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xc0000000
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones

To which, nvidia responds

NVRM: not using NVAGP, an AGPGART backend is loaded!

I have done an lsmod |grep agpgart and can't locate the module....

Now, I've added agpgart to /etc/hotplug/blacklist and also done a "echo
alias agpgart off >> /etc/modutils/local.noagpgart"

Neither of these prevent the module from loading and as a result on an
amd64 3200 with a geforce 4000mx I get 400fps in glxgears...

Also FYI, sudo cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status gives:

AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this problem.

I'm currently running Linux version 2.6.11-1-amd64-k8