Belkin KVM with funky mouse.

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Mar 16 07:46:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:21:31PM -0500, dave walker wrote:
> I have a Belkin SOHO KVM (vga+ps/2) and have been using it between a few
> terminal based servers in the past, well there was an upgraded KVM and I
> took this one.  To the point, I am now using it between 3 boxes, Debian,
> Ubuntu and a Windows box.  The debian is console only.  When ever I
> switch out of Ubuntu, to either Windows or Debian and then return the
> mouse stops working right.  When I move it the cursor jumps over the
> screen and sends right and left clicks.  However this problem does not
> occur in Windows.  Why is this, and is there a fix?

this is a recurring question .... you can usually fix it by adding a line
to /etc/modules:

psmouse proto=bare

with your favourite text editor. It seems to work most of the time, at
least it did for me. Sadly, you lose some mouse functionality (scroll
wheel for instance). It seems to be a kernel problem rather than an Ubuntu
problem.