Acrobat reader 7.0 is out

Jim Cheetham jim at egressive.com
Tue Mar 15 08:07:18 UTC 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 8:59 PM, David Coldrick wrote:
> I think you just lost me: given that acroread is free (as in beer),
> fast, and effective, why would we even consider using XPDF or
> Evince???

Because "free as in beer" is not sufficient - software should be "free
as in free to use, modify and enjoy"

Anyway, if there is an Ubuntu-specific fault in acroread, no-one from
Ubuntu will be able to fix it, and Adobe will have basically no
incentive to fix it. So that's what "free as in beer" buys you -
nothing.

-jim