No sound when playing .wmv files

summ0n3r ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Mar 15 02:05:26 UTC 2005

ummm, I installed the codecs as per Jon's wiki article (thx btw, was
nice :) )
I started up Totem, and it instantly shut down.  My solution was to
upgrade totem but that required removing a lot of packages that didn't
not seem like a good idea to remove.  So I removed totem in hopes of a
magical apt-get fix - - that was silly of me, hehe.  I figured I had
all these codecs sitting in one folder, so I looked around, got gxine
and pointed gxine to the directory with the codecs, and everything
seems to work with gxine.

** IMPORTANT **
To play the files, all I had to do was rename the extension from .wmv
to .asf.  The files that I had a problem with before, gxine gave me a
message saying that they were actually .asf files, named as .wmv files.
This works, although gxine tells you that playing this file is a
security risk.  I didn't pay much attention to it (as a patched linux
system is fairly secure, at least imo) and it's working great for me so
far. Jon, thx again for the wiki article.

sidenote: does anyone know how to resolve the issue of having multiple
sources of sound ?  (like having xmms play mp3's, and being able to
hear system sounds, such as someone messaging me on gaim).  Any
help/guidance on that is much appreciated.

--
summ0n3r