USB modem installation

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 14 18:09:59 UTC 2005

>From a Google.com/linux search on that model number it looks like it
uses a driver module called "acm". I'm not sure if this is in the kernel
or needs to be modprobed. You may also need to create the device node
manually with: sudo mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0
also put it's node in the dialout group: sudo chmod
root.dialout /dev/ttyACM0
and link to /dev/modem: sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/modem
Then try: modprobe acm
also try hotplugging the modem after the above

The above will be lost on a reboot but if it works we can give more info
on making it permanent.