trying to install ubuntu

Buffalo Soldier ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Mar 13 16:33:58 UTC 2005

Mark Stanton Wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm a total linux newbie. My son was just given an old P2 box running
> win 98. I have been trying to install Ubuntu as the only OS from cd and
> the installation constantly hangs at various pionts, the best I've
> managed is 65%.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Mark

What I would suggest is reading the 'HowTo: Ubuntu Mini-RAM'
(http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html). What is this
Howto about?> Ubuntu installs by default with the Gnome Desktop and other
> memory-intensive applications. So if you do not have a fast and
> powerful machine (Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM) your system will be
> quite slow. The following document explains the steps, how to install
> Ubuntu and a GUI on a low memory system, so that you can use it as a
> Workstation for your daily work. It is aimed to the average SOHO-user
> (Small Office/Home Office).

On Ubuntu Support & Documentation website there is a section with a
link to that same HowTo and a few addition comments and tips. => 'How
to install Ubuntu on low memory systems'
(http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/howto/miniRAM).

--
Buffalo Soldier