Wardriving Ubuntu & /etc/resolv.conf

Joe Potter jpotter1034 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 13 14:10:14 UTC 2005

Hans Poppe wrote:
> Joe Potter wrote:
>

>>Hans Poppe wrote:

<snip>

> Hi,
> I tried this and the output from lsattr /etc/resolv.conf reads
> "-------i------------" (didn't count the hashes :-), but it is still
> overwritten if I run dhclient. I suppose that means that when the lease is
> to be renewed my machine will run dhclient, and it will be overwritten
> again. Haven't had the chance to try yet, but my neighbours unsecured WiFi
> lets me on the net, and it gives me a real IP for the NS, not an NAT
> address. However this DHCP doesn'æt require a renewal for days, so I'll
> have to wait to see...
>
> Hans

If the "i" attribute is set as you show with the lsattr listing, then
even root is not suppose to be able to modify the file. You may not
change it or remove it.

Re-check that the "i" is still set, and then try to modify the file with
an editor. You should not be able to do so.

Or, try to remove it.

Let me know what happens.

Regards, Joe