usb key rsync script

Paul Pianta ppianta at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 13 03:14:27 UTC 2005

Hi people

I would like to do something really cool but am not too sure where to
get started on it.

I want to create a bash script that will run a single rsync command that
will sync a certain directory on my hard-drive onto my usb key.

The tricky part is that I want this to run automatically when my usb key
is plugged in. ie.
1. Plug in usb-key
2. rsync script is run automatically
3. a dialog pops up saying - rsync success/failure (and maybe some
parsed --stats from the rsync command)
4. clicking ok on dialog unmounts the usb key

So as you might have guessed - the usb key is merely a media for backing
up my chosen directory. Anyone have any ideas where to start with this?
DBUS? HAL? WTF?

thanks

pantz