Getting hopeless on Hoary

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 22:04:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:54:21 +0000, Eamonn Sullivan
<eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me a moment while I express some frustration: Getting sound to
> work has been a bit of a nightmare in Hoary. I mean no disrespect for
> any of the developers. I know it's hard, and apparently some people
> have no problems. But for me, the last few weeks has been one problem
> after another. When one thing is fixed, another breaks.
>
> - When Hoary was using polypaudio, everything worked perfectly, other
> than the intro and exit sounds (I could definitely live without
> those). But just for me. No one else who logged in after me could get
> any sound. The wife and kids weren't amused.
>
> - OK, devs drop polypaudio and revert to esound. Now everyone can get
> sound, even the intro and exit jingle. But now skype stops working,
> after it was working perfectly under Warty and polypaudio. When I
> start skype by itself, it hangs while trying to connect. When I start
> skype with esddsp ("esddsp skype"), it appears to connect, but I hear
> nothing. At least it doesn't hang.
>
> - Today I discovered that RealPlayer 10 doesn't work. I tried removing
> and reinstalling. I tried Real's installer and I tried alien on the
> rpms (both methods seem to result in identical setups). When I type
> realplay in a shell, it just hangs before anything displays. When i
> try strace on it, I don't see anything out of the ordinary, it just
> hangs  in the middle of a waitpid ("waitpid(-1, ").
>
> - I just checked and found out that VLC doesn't work either. When I
> try to open an AVI file I just viewed last week, I get the video fine,
> but no audio.

VLC does the same thing here. I have been using totem now with the
xine backend. There was a thread about this vlc issue a ways back i
think. I think it needs to be rebuilt for some reason or another. You
can try builing it yourself. I usually build MPlayer myself and use
that. The dev team was saying that a bunch of universe packages need
to be rebuilt and that they will be ready in time for the final
release next month.

> What does work: Rhythmbox still works fine (playing straight MP3s,
> shoutcast, etc.) and I still get all the system sounds. I'm using
> Intel motherboard sound -- Intel ICH5 AC'97.
>
> I just realised that there *is* a common thread among the applications
> that don't work: OSS. RealAudio, VLC and Skype all use OSS, while the
> stuff that does work have joined the 21st century and use Alsa or
> esound. But if I try to choose OSS in System/Multimedia System
> Selector (which is set to ESD at the moment) I get "Failed to
> construct test pipeline for 'OSS - Open Sound System'
>
> Is anyone else also having problems with RealPlayer, Skype or VLC?
> Anyone have a suggestion on what I can try next?

I haven't been using realplayer or skype, don't know, maybe I will try
reaplayer later.