Gnome 2.10 Officially Released!

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat Mar 12 15:38:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 08:40:49AM -0500, TheCondor wrote:

> I am downloading only the Gnome components from the hoary repositories
> at the moment, gonna take a while. Im not upgrading everything in my
> Ubuntu ( Warty -> Hoary ) cos I dont have time to deal with anything if
> it gets broken. I reckon upgrading only the Gnome part wont give me any
> hell will it??  :confused:

You will probably run into some dependency problems.  If all you want is
the updated Gnome stuff, edit /etc/apt/sources.list to change from warty
to hoary and do an update.  Then install the 'gnome' package, which
should pull in the rest of the default Gnome packages.  You can then
install any remaining packages you need.  This will ensure that you get
the correct dependencies and will be much quicker than individually
installing the packages.

After you complete this, you should change sources.list back to warty.
Of course, this won't get you any later updates to the new packages you
install.

On the other hand, I recently upgraded to hoary and everything is
working fine (x-window-system-core is held back, as I want to stick with
XFree for now).

Bob