FAT32 issue

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:41:32 UTC 2005

> >  What (if
> > anything) is the difference between mounting it at
> > "/mnt/something" or at "/media/something"? The Iomega
> > infromation suggested mounting under /mnt for the Zip.
> > I guess I can experiment to find out. :)
> >
> Wouldn't it be /media for removable media and /mnt for fixed media?

but they are both "media" and both "mounted".

According to
 http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-3.7.html

3.7 /mnt : Mount point for temporarily mounted filesystems

This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
temporarily mount filesystems as needed. The content of this directory
is a local issue and should not affect the manner in which any program
is run.

We recommend against the use of this directory by installation
programs, and suggest that a suitable temporary directory not in use
by the system should be used instead.