Reiserfs vs ext3

Andreas Happe news_0403 at flatline.ath.cx
Fri Mar 11 14:00:11 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-10, Jim Richardson <warlock at eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 18:05 +0100, Andreas Happe wrote:
>> tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/hda1.
>>
>> enables tree structures (instead of the linked lists) for inodes.
>
> interesting, is there any data re: performance and reliability for this?

don't have anything by hand, but it was regarded as panacrea for
handling directories with thousends of files (and it makes a _real_
difference when using mutt with ~1000 mails in a maildir). It has gone
into the kernel in the early 2.5 days, I'm using it since - its stable.

> Is it reversible?

sure.

>and does it require any changes to boot a rootfs with this change?

nope.

Always remember that ext3 defaults are *very* conservative when doing
performance tests (and remember that ext3 syncs changes every five
seconds (can be overwritten with the commit=<delay in seconds> mount
parameter) - which will make it look worse in benchmarks (compared to
other fs which hold your data longer in their cache).

	//Andreas