*.wmv files under totem-gstreamer

martin yazdzik yazdzik at myway.com
Fri Mar 11 15:06:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:41:22 -0500, bored2k wrote:

> Jordi Cerdan Wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> 	Is it possible to view *.wmv video files under totem-gstreamer?
>>
>> 	I have installed both w32codecs and xine and I'm able to see them but
>> under totem-gstreamer I receive an error. I know one solution would be
>> to install totem-xine but I just want to know if gstreamer is able to
>> play *.wmv files.
>>
>> 	Thanks.
>>
>> Jordi
>>

>> --
> Edit > Preferences > Add Propietary Plugins Copy/Paste or Link the
> w32codecs here [from /usr/lib/win32/ to /home/user/.gnome2/totem-addons/
>
> Retry, if not succesful, try totem-xine.

Dear bored and friends,
  As a followup, since I am making little progress on getting mplayer
  plugins working with the current kernel, is there an alternate way to
  get all the windows media to play in firfox or mozilla without using
  mplayer? Gxine does not seem to include all the codecs. In the simplest
  possible terms, since mplayer is not going to work for the foreseeable
  future as the embedded player, how can we use either gstreamer or gxine
  to do all the things that mplayer used to do, to wit, get all the
  windows multimedia working(except for shockwave :-( )

Very best,

Martin