XServer burned my LCD twice

Kevin Krumwiede kjkrum at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 08:28:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:57:14 -0800
Nadeem Bitar <nadeem at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is my company's  development machine where other developers have
> the same machine and the same external monitor. I'm the only developer
> using linux on these machines and the only developer who had their
> machine's LCD burned twice so this makes me conclude that  my problem
> it highly likely related to X11. I am almost 100% sure that we are
> using identical machines same BIOS, same hardware spec, same
> everything.  I might be wrong and I sure hope that I am because the
> developers using windows are having a good laugh at my expense.

Your error is in assuming that they actually fixed your machine when you
sent it in.  Technicians seldom do component-level troubleshooting; it's
not cost-effective.  They just pop and swap components until it seems to
work, and call it done.  Unfortunately, this often fixes the symptoms
without fixing the actual problem (e.g., they may keep replacing your
LCD controller when the problem is really the power supply.)

My experience with laptops (and digital cameras) is that when you're
unlucky enough to get a bad one, no matter how many times you send it in
for repair, you will continue to have the exact same problem until you
insist on a complete replacement.

Good luck!

Krum