How to switch off the annoying beep?

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Fri Mar 11 02:35:19 UTC 2005

Christoph Georgi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> every time Thunderbird receives some emails, my notebook makes this
> annoying beep. The same beep sounds whenever one tries to click
> somewhere allthough one can't or when you for example hit the backspace
> in a terminal although noting is written in it .
>
> Is there any way to turn that beep off? (sry for my bad expination, but
> I don't know how to describe better...)
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> .christoph

For new mail in Thunderbird:
Under "Edit > Preferences"  Go to the "General" tab.  The bottom pane
titled "When new mail arrives", uncheck "Play a sound"

For the other beeps:
Under "Computer > Desktop Preferences > Sound"
Under the "System Bell" tab, uncheck "Sound an audible bell"

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams