PLEASE TAKE MY NAME OFF OF ALL OF YOURS LISTS OK??????

A1ex radsky at ncia.net
Thu Mar 10 01:50:38 UTC 2005

DON FERRIN wrote:

> I want you to stop sending me any more E-Mails due to fact that I am
> getting nothing but junk E-mails on stuff that don't pertain to my
> problem, and you people don't  seem to have a clue on to what to do
> about my problem or how to fix it. so please just cancel me out of
> your list.
> Don

I went back to your original posting and the responses you received were
quite reaonable considering the information that was given in your
original posting.    There really wan't much to work with.and the
suggestions that were given indicate that responders  were really trying
to help.  For one thing, you didn't say that you had no problem booting
other CDs, for example, those that are for Windows..

Sometimes a problem has a quick solution when all the details are
available and sometimes it takes quite a few exchanges to pin-point the
problem.  In any case,  it makes a big difference in how the problem is
described.   It may seem to you that you described the problem
adequately but in order for some people to understand your problem it
may take a few back and forth
exchanges.  Sometimes a response may not be clear to you.  In that case,
ask for clarification.

It helps if you've spent some time looking for answers in other sources
on the web so you may be better able to describe
your problem. on this list..

This may seem like a foolish question but it has to be asked----by any
chance were you trying to install ubuntu from
from the Live CD  or were you using the Install CD?    Also, .there are
three versions of CDs available, Intel x86,
PowerPC, and AMD64/EM641..  I don't know which is the one for
Compaq.--someone else on the list may know.

Also, it may be that something may be amiss in your BIOS.other than just
the boot setup.  In that case, it's not a ubuntu
problem.

What  might help is trying KNOPPIX.   The CD can be used two
ways......working directly off the CD or it can
be installed on hard drive.   UBUNTU uses separate CDs for this.   If
you have a UBUNTU Live CD, try that.but
don't try to install it on hard drive---just let it boot itself..  If it
doesn't boot, the problem is in your computer and it might
be best to look elsewhere for an answer..

Don't give up on the UBUNTU list..  UBUNTU is an excellent system and so
is the list.

Good luck

alex, the world's oldest linux fanatic (86+)