Daily CD Install 2005-03-07

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 04:33:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:17:36 -0500, Matt Galvin <matt.t.galvin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:44:17 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:27:27PM -0500, Matt Galvin wrote:
> >
> > > * CD booted as normal
> > > * I got the point where I manually edit my hd partitions and things got hairy
> > >
> > > ** I have 2 IDE drives and the installer detected them as SCSI drives.
> > > ** The drives get set as sda and sdb and this should not be.
> > > ** Prior installers detect the IDE drives just fine.
> >
> > Your drives must be connected to an SATA controller, in which case this is
> > normal.
>
> Well, this is a box I built and I pluged the IDE drives directly into
> the non-raid IDE connectors on the mobo, so to the best of my
> knowledge they are running on the IDE controller (82801EB/ER
> (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller) as per hal on an array
> 5 install (and the same on warty). The Sil 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid]
> SATA contoller (82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller) has
> nothing connected to it at all. Although they are both running through
> the 82801 PCI Bridge so the installer may get confussed, I am not sure
> :(.
>
> All i really know is warty up to hoary array 5 (will try array 6
> tomorrow), these get detected as IDE drives which is what i would
> expect.
>
> > > ** The installer started to format the drives as ext3.
> > > ** The formatting got to 81% on / then just froze
> >
> > This is not normal.  Do you see anything on console #3 when it freezes?  Are
> > you able to get a shell on console #2 to debug?
>
> I will try this tomorrow and post what i find, time for bed on this
> side of the globe :)

OK, yes I can get to both consoles.

On console #3 I see the following messages

---
insmod ...
.
.
.
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
No matching physical volumes found
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
No matching physical volumes found
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
---

and thats it, it stops there.

Let me know what debugging I can do on console #2.

It seems others have gotten there system to work with there IDE's
begins seen as SATA/SCSI, but not me :(

Matt