Please help a Linux newbie!

gregory gulrajani greg at gulrajani.org
Tue Mar 8 22:37:15 UTC 2005

>I am impressed! To put it mildly!
>I only run into one problem I can't resolve due to my inexperience. I
>can't reach anylonger across the LAN to fetch files (.doc, .jpg) from
>the other XP-OS machines or my laptop which is also running XP.

just to clarify -
are you trying to get files from your windows machine onto your Ubuntu
machine or
are you trying to get files from your Ubuntu machine onto your Windows
machine ?

if the first was true you should look for an option in the menu that
says "Network Servers" and see if you can
browser your windows network.

if the second was true you should install "Samba" from the Snaptic
application that is in the Administration menu..

good luck
-best
-greg

-best