[warty] Migrating from ntfs to ext3

Filip Ruymen filip.ruymen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:38:56 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

here is my problem: I have a disk of 120 gigabyte (currently ntfs
filesystem) which I want to migrate to the ext3 filesystem.
This has to be done without losing any data on it. I can't make a
backup of this disc.
The best thing I come up with is:
1)move about 20 gigabyte to backup partition on other disc (maximum I can move).
2)resize the partition with partition magic (make partition 20 gigabyte smaller)
3)create new partition with ext3 filesystem.
4)copy data onto new partition.
5)move another 20 gigabyte onto backup partition on other disc.
6)resize ntfs
7)resize ext3
8)copy date to ext3
9)repat untill done.

Is this the best way to do this, or can you recommend another procedure.

Kind regards
Filip Ruymen