Autorun

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Mon Mar 7 21:50:57 UTC 2005

mån 2005-03-07 klockan 18:32 -0300 skrev Gabriel Patiño:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:43:07 +1030, squareyes <squareyes at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have made up a CD that I would like to auto open a html file
> > when it's put in the CD drive, is this possible, and if so how is it done?
>
> if you want to 'autorn' the CD when you put it on a Linux machine,
> well... i think there's no such thing in Linux as autorun.
> That is just a M$ feature. If windows finds some file (i think it was
> autorun.ini or something like that), it runs that file.
>
> There are so many combination to run on a Linux system, I mean window
> managers, consoles, environments, even platforms, that it should be
> really difficult to make that works in a usefull way.
>
> --
> Gabriel E. Patiño

Its a long time since,  but if i dont remember it wrongly the RedHat
Linux CD did that? It had some kind of autorun file on the root of the
CD which made it automaticly load something.  But, I might be wrong
though.

I have not the time to do a full research, but google'ing around I found
this page:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/getting-started-guide/s1-updating-pkgs-cdrom.html
The first line on that page suggest that it is possible. Though it might
be a RedHat-specific thing, and it seems the page is about RHL9, which
is *old* in terms of Linux/Gnome desktop.

But perhaps you can figure it out, it seems to me like making a
bash-script or something called "autorun" on the root of the CD might be
a good way to see if it realy works ;)

/Kent