change of icon's

Jochen Skulj jochen at jochenskulj.de
Mon Mar 7 18:43:23 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez:

>Yes, I have been wondering, more generally speaking, how to modify the
>Gnome menus, outside the normal "Applications" entries, as some of the
>icons, I would like to change, and some entries, I would like to plain
>remove, to make it look better to me, and smaller/simpler/cleaner.
>I read somewhere on the site that Ubuntu is committed to letting the
>user modify everything in whatever way he sees fit his particular
>needs/desires. So I posted a few month ago, askin gofr info on how to
>modify the menus. But I got.......ze-ro replies. :-/
>
>Vince

I think many icons - like the stock icons (back, forward, home), but also logout - can be changed by using another gtk-theme. I am no Gnome expert, but I installed some other themes (apt-get install gnome-theme-extras) and played with them. They include files like gtkrc and iconrc. Here you find entries like

   stock ["panel-searchtool"] =    {{"find.svg"}}
   stock ["panel-screenshot"] =    {{"applets-screenshooter.svg"}}
   stock ["panel-lockscreen"] =    {{"panel-lockscreen.svg"}}
   stock ["panel-logout"] =        {{"stock_quit.svg"}}
   stock ["panel-gnome-logo"] =    {{"gnome-logo.svg"}}

Obviously you can change non-application icons by using these entries. I just adapt the gtkrc so that I can use the Industrial widgets with Nuvola icons. Maybe you should just take a look at some other themes and their configuration files. Or you should search for some Gnome tutorials to find a better approach. If you find an easier way to change these icons please let me know ;-)

Cheers, Jochen

--
Jochen Skulj
http://www.jochenskulj.de