Two modems on one line????

Jim Cheetham jim at egressive.com
Mon Mar 7 03:05:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 16:49 -0500, A1ex wrote:
> Would there be a problem if I had both modems connected to the same
> phone line?  My thinking is that there are already other appliances
> connected to that same phone line and there's no problem

In my experience (UK, NZ) the ringing signal generated at the local
exchange is run in series through the attached phone devices - if you
have too many attached simultaneously, it's possible that *none* of them
would ring on an incoming call.

The "guaranteed" number of devices is 3, IIRC - but in practice things
are fine with more. You will probably be OK to leave both modems
connected. If you get problems with your handset not ringing properly on
incoming calls, you will have to disconnect your modems to test.
--
-jim cheetham = jim at egressive dot com
www.egressive.com, www.effusiongroup.com