Hoary - enabling hibernate mode

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 01:56:54 UTC 2005

Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>>>Hmmm... I have hibernate mode too - on my desktop! Haven't had the guts
>>>to see what it would do... ;-)
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>I tried it - my screen just went black (I have a normal desktop
>>computer). I waited for a while and then pressed Enter - nothing
>>happened. Then I pressed Esc, Ctrl + Q, Del, ... finally I had tried
>>every key on my keyboard and the screen still stayed black. Then I
>>reseted my PC and the trial was over. Sorry, but can't tell you how
>>hibernate works :-)
>

> that's exactly my experience from a few days ago :)   It took me a few
> days to ramp up my courage in trying that new option in my logout
> menu.  And like you, nothing happened and I had to reset my desktop.
>
> I have now disabled hibernate on that computer to avoid  the problem
> of users on that computer selecting that option by mistake (or on
> purpose...).

I don't have ubuntu-desktop installed, yet I had all the options in my
logout dialog.

I removed the acpi packages because they sounded like they were more for
mobile computing, but that didn't remove all the "extra" unneeded logout
options.

I still have hibernate. How do I get rid of it?

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958

http://carney1979.blogspot.com/