Can't get md5sum to work

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Sun Mar 6 23:03:02 UTC 2005

On su, 2005-03-06 at 19:27 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 06:52:00PM +0200, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> > Could anyone please help me to get md5sum work for me. I have downloaded
> > and burned Hoary array6 and would like to check if it's OK. When I do
> >
> > md5sum /dev/hdc
> >
> > I get
> >
> > /dev/hdc: failed in buffer_read(fd): mdfile: Input/output error.
>
> There's nothing wrong with md5sum. If you get this, the burn went wrong.
>
> One of my CD writers that used to work fine now burns badly all the
> time, which is annoying. I suspect it just needs cleaning, but haven't
> got around to it yet.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]

I tested this by writing an .iso file to a CD (as a file) and then
comparing it to the original with diff. Diff didn't report any
differences. I think this suggests that there is nothing wrong with my
writer (doesn't prove it though). Your idea was good anyway and worth
trying - thanks.

I have to start installing array6 now, I have spent quite a lot of time
trying to get the burn verified. It would have been nice to get it done
though - I think it's a rather important thing to do. Very usefull when
you have problems with your installation - at least you know your CD is
OK.

Thanks Colin and everybody who replied.

Ari