I CAN'T INSTALL UBUNTU LINUX ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER WHY WON'T IT????

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Sun Mar 6 20:17:25 UTC 2005

On 6 Mar 2005, at 19:45, DON FERRIN wrote:

> SORRY ABOUT THAT THAT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER I MET TO SAY THE COMPAQ
> 7500. BUT WHERE YOU SENT ME WON'T DO ME MUNCH GOOD BECAUSE THERE IS
> FOR LAPTOPS AND NOTEBOOKS MINE IS A DESKTOP. SO PLEASE TELL ME WHAT
> YOU KNOW HOW TO INTALL ON MY COMPUTER.
>
> DON

Caps off please.

First thing to do as you're having trouble with three different linux
distros is to check that your bios is uptodate. You can check at these
two sites:
www.compaq.com
http://www.bioscentral.com/

Other suggestions:
Try running the ubuntu live cd and see if that works.
Check that your cd isn't corrupted, and try burning a cd at a lower
burn rate.

Hope this helps

John

>> On 6 Mar 2005, at 15:14, DON FERRIN wrote:
>>
>>> I am a newbie to the Linux opperating system and am having trouble
>>> installilng Ubuntu 4.10 and as far as that goes I have tried to
>>> install Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora Core 3 Operating systems on my
>>> Compaq Presario model # SR1023WM Computer that has a CD-Rom Drive
>>> Soney CD-RW model # CRX215E5. I have my Bios set to Boot my CD-Rom
>>> DRive first on my boot up of my Computer. I am running Windows XP on
>>> my computer. What it is doing is that it keeps toggeling beween
>>> trying to install Linux and booting up Windows XP it keeps doing
>>> this until I shut the computer off or I take the Install Cd out of
>>> my computer. It does the same thing with all of the systems that I
>>> have listed above. so what should I do to get the Linux installed on
>>> my computer????
>>>

>> Is that the right model number? Seems more like a serial no. than a
>> model no.
>> Anyway, first stop for you should be:
>> http://tuxmobil.org/compaq.html
>> Which carries reports on many installs on various Compaqs.
>> For the record, I tried the live cd on a Presario 2100 recently, and
>> had no problems.
>>
>> John

www.ubuntulinux.org
linux for humans