I CAN'T INSTALL UBUNTU LINUX ON MY COMPUTER WHY WON'T IT????

N. Pauli npauli at st-johns.org.uk
Sun Mar 6 18:39:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 06 Mar, John Levin wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2005, at 15:14, DON FERRIN wrote:
>
> > I am a newbie to the Linux opperating system and am having trouble
> > installilng Ubuntu 4.10 and as far as that goes I have tried to
> > install Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora Core 3 Operating systems on my Compaq
> > Presario model # SR1023WM Computer that has a CD-Rom Drive Soney CD-RW
> > model # CRX215E5. I have my Bios set to Boot my CD-Rom DRive first on
> > my boot up of my Computer. I am running Windows XP on my computer.
> > What it is doing is that it keeps toggeling beween trying to install
> > Linux and booting up Windows XP it keeps doing this until I shut the
> > computer off or I take the Install Cd out of my computer. It does the
> > same thing with all of the systems that I have listed above. so what
> > should I do to get the Linux installed on my computer????

I'm having the same problem. I can boot off the cd-rom no problem on one computer and then on another it fails to boot off it. I think it's a cd-rom drive problem and tomorrow I'm going to swap in another drive just for the install and then replace it with the original one once the install has worked.

has anyone anything more sensible and/or illuminating to add?

Nigel

--
Nigel Pauli
Network Manager