Hoary - enabling hibernate mode

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 6 09:58:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 19:56 +1100, russell cook wrote:
> Thanks Matt, I already have this installed, although I did a reinstall
> for good measure.
>
> I now have a suspend the computer option but not a hibernate on the
> logoff menu.
That sounds a bit like my laptop, I retrospectively put ubuntu-desktop
back on and it gave me a suspend option on the logoff menu but not
hibernate and selecting suspend from the menu doesn't actually do
anything but both suspend and hibernate work when I run the commands
manually. I'm actually loving suspend and using it most of the time for
a few weeks now. It means this old P2 laptop is up and running in about
10 seconds as opposed to 2 and a half minutes for a full boot :)

Like Russell my other PC that was installed from a Hoary array instead
of upgrading does have both suspend & hibernate in the log off menu
although from memory I had to edit the acpi-support file to enable
hibernate and then restart Gnome for the option to appear.