Ubuntu warty and zaurus 5500

Peter Simpson ubuntu at petethetree.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 21:03:59 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 Feb 2005 17:13, spizkapa wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> has anyone managed to get their zaurus 5500 playing ball with ubuntu
> warty? I'm having real problems setting up ethernet over usb. Without an
> outgoing connection, it's hard to update things...
>
> The problem is that there are plenty of places describing what you have
> to do to get the zaurus working but none of them are for ubuntu or a 2.6
> series kernel. If someone could at least help me set up ethernet over
> usb, I could then add the appropriate wiki page for others to use.
>
> My set up and trace of the situation is as follows:
>
> 1. desktop computer running ubuntu warty
> 2. desktop has 2.6 series kernel (2.6.8.1-5-686)
> 3. zaurus runs a clean (just reflashed) version of openzaurus and opie
> 4. zaurus seems to only know of a usbd0 ethernet interface (I believe
> the correct one should be usb0 - without the 'd')
> 5. when the zaurus is connected to the computer through a USB
> charge/sync cable, the following message appears in /var/log/messages
>
> Feb 27 16:41:14 localhost kernel: usb 4-6.2: new full speed USB device
> using address 11
> Feb 27 16:41:14 localhost kernel: usb0: register usbnet at
> usb-0000:00:10.3-6.2, Sharp Zaurus SL-5x00
>
> which to me says that the right modules are loaded by the warty kernel.
>
> 6. In particular, the usbnet module is started as expected
> 7. I have added:
>
> iface usb0 inet dhcp
>
> to my /etc/network/interfaces so that I get a usb0 interface which is
> meant to get an IP address through the Z's dhcp server
>
> 8. if I manually ifup the usb0 interface, nothing happens
>
> I have head of others using a static IP address for the zaurus and
> pointing from usb0 to the Z's IP address but this has given no success
> so far.
>
> Can anyone help or tell me where to look for pertinent information? I'e
> looked everywhere but nothing strikes me as a situation that can be
> adapted into my own.
>
> Thanks.
>
> spizkapa

Hi there.

I haven't specifically done this with Ubuntu - but I have done a lot of this
kind of stuff with Debian.

I have most generally used OpenZaurus with various success with regards to
syncing - but the usual network connection stuff tends to work OK.

The best instructions I have found are:

http://www.openzaurus.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=44

Hope they help you.