Reverting Metacity?

Dan Holmsand holmsand at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:53:24 UTC 2005

Is there any way to turn Metacity's new "focus stealing prevention" mode
off?

It doesn't make any sense at all, at the moment, at least not to me.
Most of the time, it seems to do exactly the opposite of what I would
want: new windows are not focused, except when you launch an app for the
first time (and maybe not even then). Sometimes even dialogs are
launched behind the app window (as in Gimp).

And it doesn't prevent focus-stealing in the interresting cases (e.g.
launch OpenOffice, wait for ever, tire of waiting and start working in
another window - and there OpenOffice is, on top, suddenly focussed).

I would much rather have the old Metacity behaviour back. Focus stealing
may be annoying, but only sometimes. The new mode seems to be designed
to always annoy me :-)

/dan