Bittorent ?!

andrew fries afries at internode.on.net
Fri Mar 4 04:21:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 04:50:41 +0100
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:

> But, right now I am downloading the ISO image of the Kubuntu Live CD, as
> I am curious, and Bittorent gives very unstable speeds, and very low
> speeds, between 30 and 80KB/s, whereas if I stop bittorent and try
> downloanidng directly from the Ubuntu server (main one, in the UK), it
> instantly reaches my full bandwidth, about 125KB/s (1Mbps), and stays
> there steady, until it finished. Same for Synpatic, I always get steady
> and full speed from Ubuntu's servers.

What you get from bittorrent depends on how many people participate - if there are not too many, and each dedicates only small amount of bandwidth to uploads, it is entirely possible you get worse speed than from a well-connected ftp server. The other thing is, it also depends on how much bandwidth *you* allocate to uploads, I think those who share more get more preferential treatment, although I'm a bit hazy on details... Finally, 30-80kb/s is noting to sneeze at - maybe I'm just not as spoiled, because days of modems are still fresh enough in my memory...