suggestion : "ubuntu-testers" - list

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Mar 4 00:26:37 UTC 2005

> I think it should be a recomendation (no easy way to enforce)

There is a very easy way to enforce. All existing users will use filters
to reject anything that has no [Warty ) or [Hoary/testing] or [General]
tag in the subject line. So when  a new user doesn't comply to this
rule, he won't get any answer. By looking at all the other mail, which
do have tags, he will quickly understand what he must do in order to be
heard....

> The only problem with this is that new subscribers wouldn't know the
> rule.

Of course they would. When you subscribe, you get a private e-mail with
a link/procedure to active your account, along with a few indications on
how the list works (how to unsubscribe, how to edit your membership
optins etc). Let's just use this e-mail to instruct people on how to use
the list properly.
If they don't want to obey, they will soon have to anyway, if thet want
anyone to answer them

> But are there any disadvantages?  Any ideas?

It will make the subject line a little longer and truncate the end of
the subject a bit depending how wide the column is, but that's not the
end of the world, well I don't think ! ;o)

Vince, likes well organized things