linux-compatible hardware shortlist

Craig Adams craigaa at karg.co.za
Thu Mar 3 21:58:33 UTC 2005

Hi Phillipe, All,

Sorry, I don't have a definitive list.

When I need to but something I generally check the vendor support pages
for GNU/Linux queries and gauge their responses. Then I ask on various
mailing lists for info on support from the vendor.

Some simple discoveries...

I would never buy a Lexmark inkjet, but will prefer Epson. (Don't
mention HP to me. In my opinion, their IJ quality sucks.)

Samsung laser printers are well supported, but their consumables pricing
is ridiculous. HP (beyond their basic consumer junk) & Lexmark
(virtually all non GDI models) lasers are also quite good and are well
supported, mainly through their PS support rather than any real effort
on their part.

On the mobo side, even though the products are good, I won't touch Intel
or Asus brands, but do like MSI, ABIT & AOpen who all have good
attitudes to GNU/Linux and some good products.

Elite also support GNU/Linux well on their DeskNote systems.

On the Notebook side, I have little experience, but I hear that IBM is
the better choice.

What are your (everyone) experiences?

Regards

Craig A.