liveCD default password change?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 3 03:06:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:25:28AM +0000, Chip Piller wrote:

> I downloaded the hoary-live-i386.iso for 02-Mar-2005, checked md5sum, burned CD,
> and booted from CD.  So far so good.
>
> After using the system for a while I selected "Lock Screen" option from the
> menu.  Now I am unable to log back into my session.  I am the default user
> ubuntu, and I tried password "ubuntu" but it did not work.  Has the default
> password changed, and if so to what?

The default is now a locked password.  It hadn't occurred to me that anyone
would try to lock the screen on the live CD. :-)  It had a static password
before, and so this didn't provide any security anyway.

What should it do if you try?  Activate the (non-locked) screensaver?
Should we omit the option from the menu entirely?

Ideally, xscreensaver would notice a locked password and refuse to lock the
screen, but this may not be feasible.

Please file a bug in Bugzilla to track this.

--
 - mdz