burning CD-R's

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Mar 2 16:02:28 UTC 2005

Bob Nielsen wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 06:09:43PM +0100, René L. Reingard wrote:
>

>>hello
>>
>>i downloaded the Live-CD of Hoary (hoary-live-i386.iso)
>>tried to burn it in Nautilus to an empty CD-R.
>>the CD-Drive in my laptop is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive (HAL talks about: QSI
>>CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-081).
>>after pushing "burn CD" another window comes up with the question where to
>>save that file. options are: putting the iso-File to the desktop, personal
>>folder or the filesystem. and that's all !! looks so silly :-(
>>
>>the drive got autodetected by Ubuntu Warty as CD-ROM1 (the icon) and the
>>line for it in /etc/fstab looks as follows:
>>
>>/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
>>

>>if i push on the icon of the CD-Drive, while a CD-R is inside, the error
>>message is:
>>
>>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc, or too many
>>mounted file systems
>>

>>i once also tried to change "ro" to "rw", but then the icon changes
>>automatically to a harddrive's icon and the error is:
>>
>>mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
>>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc, or too many
>>mounted file systems
>>

>>NOW, how to deal with that friends? what to change, what to set
>>differently?
>>

>I haven't tried burning a CD with Nautilus, but you should not try to
>mount the CD-R (you cannot because there is no file type before you do
>the burning).  I have used K3b and graveman (both of which are nice),
>but I keep going back to the command line when burning .iso files (which
>works for me every time):
>
>sudo cdrecord -pad -v -eject -driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/cdrom  <filename.iso>
>
>Or, in script form:
>
>$cat ~/bin/makecd.sh
>
>#!/bin/bash
>sudo cdrecord -pad -v -eject -driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/cdrom $1

right, /etc/fstab is irrelevant because blank CDs are not mounted at all.

I burn audio CDs from FLAC files with the following script which should
be run in the directory with the source files.

    for i in ./*.flac; do flac -d $i -o ${i//flac/wav}; sox \
    ${i//flac/wav} ${i//flac/cdr}; done

    cdrecord -v speed=10 dev=/dev/hdc driveropts=burnfree -dao -pad
    -overburn -audio ./*.cdr

You can then delete the interim wav files, the cdr files (both of which
tend to be quite large)  and [optionally] the flac files.

P.S.  The script fails if the source files have spaces in their name as
many music files tend to have.  Use EasyTAG to correct this.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c