ATI or Nvidia??

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 02:55:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 21:08 -0500, Daniel G. Taylor wrote:
> It _should_ just work. Any strange output in /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Does
> dmesg spit anything strange out? Anything in /var/log/messages?
>
> When was the last time you updated? A few days ago there were lockups
> in Hoary. Make sure you are up to date!
>

> --
> Daniel G. Taylor

I update daily.

No strange output in any of the logs. Looks like everything is loading
properly.

It shows the Nvidia splash, then I hear the gdm "song", see my cursor
and X is frozen.

I read somewhere (nvforums??) that there is a problem with the latest
driver and some cards.

I contacted an Nvidia person and he suggested I try the earlier driver.
Only problem is it won't install becaure it claims I don't have the
correct kernel sources installed.

I thought I did.

I'm running 2.6.10-4-386 for my kernel. What package do I need to get
the sources for that kernel?

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958