Creating a boot floppy

Thomas Kaiser thomas at kaiser.linux-site.net
Tue Mar 1 21:23:52 UTC 2005

Just make sure you install grub (the boot loader) into the boot record
of your linux (root) partition NOT in the MBR. Then, you could use
http://btmgr.webframe.org/ to boot any disk/partition in your box.
btmgr can be installed to a floppy from windows or linux. this is really
a nice tool. You are also able to boot from a cd even your BIOS does NOT
have this option (old hardware).

Installing grub into the MBR should not harm your system. It just gives
you more choise about booting.

The "normal" MBR boot code only looks for the active partition and hands
over the booting process to the boot record (code) of this partition.
With grub you can just boot every partition.

You can put grub on a floppy, too. And have the same options as you
would have if it was in the MBR. (search the web, man pages).

I think you should be able to find a ready to use grub floppy image on
the net. If you don't find one. I can send you one, but without boot
menu. So, to boot windows on your first partition on your first drive,
you have to enter some commands, like:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

It would also be possible to boot grub from grub!

floppy grub -> mbr grub -> partiton boot record grub -> OS

Thomas