is there anyway to for me to allow another user to login same time as me

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Thu Jun 30 23:25:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 18:05 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 02:38:50PM -0700, David Foster wrote:
> > This deffinatly looks like the best way of doing it. It opens a new gdm session
> > at CTR+ALT+F8. Then CTR+ALT+F7 to get back to your running session. It does hog
> > a bit of memory though :)
>
> And it's not really equivalent to Fast User Switching under
> OS X or Windows, as far as I can tell: you need to have as
> many consoles allocated in /etc/inittab as you expect you'll
> have logged-in users. As far as I know, OS X and XP allow
> arbitrarily many logged-in users.

No, you don't need to have any entries in "/etc/inittab" for X to run.
As a matter of fact, X will find the next *unallocated* console (in
other words: not included in "/etc/inittab") and bound to it.  Hence
console 7 (i.e. "CTRL+ALT+F7") is the first X server (most Linux
distributions allocate 6 consoles by default in "/etc/inittab").

For the record, default (and Ubuntu) Linux kernel allows as many as 256
consoles at the same time (and you can increase it if you want, but you
have to recompile it).  I think most users will ran out of system
resources (memory/CPU) before you could run that many X servers.

Ziyad.