2nd nic for nat

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Jun 30 21:19:43 UTC 2005

nic nat patty whack...

I am replacing a firewall/router/nat/gateway box with a Ubuntu box.  It currently
has a pci Intel Ethernet Pro 100 and a isa 3c509 nics.  I did a server install and
it setup the PCI nic just fine.  Now I need to setup the isa 3c509.

The PCI will be the internal lan nic, the isa will be the external/Public IP/Cable
Modem nic.

eth0 - Intel PCI -  dhcp
eth1 - 3com isa - 192.168.1.1

Guessing I add 3c509 to /etc/modules

Not sure what to do in /etc/network/interfaces.

I have my iptables script from the old box, but I am open to suggestions.  I do a
lot of port forwarding to internal boxes.  I wouldn't mind something that
automaticly blocks IP's if it looks like an attack.  I ran portcentury for a
while, it caused problems (like preventing me from loging in to turn it off.)

Is there a wiki page or something telling the Ubuntu way to set this up?

Here is the one I made way back when...
http://www.personnelware.com/carl/linux/cmr/ (it is so 1900's)

Carl K