Lockup on Access to USB Hard Drive

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Thu Jun 30 13:49:17 UTC 2005

I've got an iRiver H340 digital music player.  One of the nice things
about this particular player is that when you plug it in to the USB port
of the computer, it shows up as a regular hard drive (FAT).

When I plug in the device, a device icon called 'H300' shows up on my
Gnome desktop and a Nautilus window opens showing the contents of the
iRiver hard drive root folder.  So far so good.

The directory structure looks like this:

/media/H300

   |--- Music
   |       |
   |       |--- (~100 subdirectories)
   |--- pictures
   |       |
   |       |--- (a few files, no subdirs)
   |--- recordings
   |       |
   |       |--- audio
   |       |       |
   |       |       |--- (a few files, no subdirs)
   |       |
   |       |--- voice
   |       |       |
   |       |       |--- (a few files, no subdirs)

   |--- (a few miscellaneous files)

For the most part, I can interact with the device just fine.  I can view,
add, and remove files from the device with no problem...except for the
Music subdirectory.  Whenever I try to access the Music directory, i.e. an
'ls' command or opening the folder with Nautilus, it hangs forever.  When
I check the status of the command in gnome-system-monitor its status is
displayed as "Uninterruptible".  This happens only with the Music
directory.  All other directories are fine.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?  I know that it's
not a hardware problem because I can play the music in the Music folder of
the devic just fine, and also because I can browse the folder without any
problem on Windows.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that