dist-upgrade from warty to hoary failed

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Thu Jun 30 06:25:06 UTC 2005

Andre Moraes wrote:
> Daniel, Rich,
>

> I've run over the same issue with kernel updates into Hoary. I've
> conducted some research and discovered that I have this issue only with
> my tri-boot system (Ubuntu, FC4 and SUSE 9.3).
>

> Does your systems running more than one root partition on the same
> harddisk?

This machine runs ubuntu, and there is an old NT partition that was
prior to ubuntu.

The machine I have here was initially loaded with warty, and then
converted to a software raid mirroring setup.

At the time I installed warty, the installer didn't support installing
onto raid, so I did it myself.

Essentially

I installed warty.

Then, I fdisk'ed the second drive to have the same partition sizes as
the first disk, but set them up as linux raid autodetect types.

Then, I copied all the data from the primary disk to the secondary disk
and rebooted into 'degraded' mode.

Then, I changed the partition types on the primary partitions to raid
autodetect, and initiated a raid rebuild.

So, I believe the problem has to do with the fact that the boot
partition isn't located on /dev/hda or /dev/sda, but rather that it is
on /dev/md0.  Could be completely wrong about that, though.

Of course, Hoary can now be set up with raid mirroring from the get-go,
so that's just dandy.

HTH

Regards,
Rich